Blueberry Cloud PiePrint Print Without Images
Rob’s mom clipped this recipe from the MSA News in the 1980s, and it turned out to be one of his favourites! Fresh sweet blueberries are a perfect match for the light and fluffy “cloud”.
1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, washed
1/2 lb. miniature marshmallows (approx 4.5 cups)
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream, whipped stiff
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup fresh blueberries, washed
Graham Cracker Crust (or use a premade crust):
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar and melted butter in a medium sized bowl; mix well with a fork and transfer to a 9″ pie plate. Press crumbs evenly over bottom and sides of pie plate but not on rim. Bake 8 minutes. Remove pie crust from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch in a medium sized saucepan. Add 1/2 cup water and the lemon juice, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thick and translucent.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries and set aside for filling to cool.
- Put marshmallows, milk and salt in the top of a double boiler. Place over hot water and cook, stirring frequently until marshmallows melt.
- Remove double boiler top from hot water and let cool until mixture is very thick (about 20 to 25 minutes). Gently fold whipped cream and vanilla extract into marshmallow mixture, using an under-and-over motion, until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
- Spread one-third of the marshmallow mixture over the cooled graham cracker crust. Gently spoon blueberry filling over marshmallow mixture, spreading it evenly. Spoon remaining marshmallow mixture over blueberry filling, spreading evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs over pie, making a lattice pattern on top. Decorate with whole blueberries and place pie in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. Cut pie into wedges to serve.
Makes 8 servings.