Chef Dez’s Beef & Black Bean EnchiladasPrint Print Without Images
This combination of beef and black beans are incredibly tasty in this enchilada recipe.
A great taste of Mexican cooking right in your own kitchen! The enchiladas make a very showy display at the table and are very easy to make. Your whole family will be impressed!
1.5 pounds (680g) lean ground beef
1 cup small diced onion
6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp Mexican chilli powder
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried ground cumin
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
3 tbsp canned green chillies
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes, divided
1 – 398ml can black beans, rinsed & drained
6 large soft flour tortillas
340g old cheddar, grated
Sliced canned black olives, drained
Small diced fresh tomatoes
Green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350˚ and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Brown the beef in a large frying pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, chilli powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, green chillies, brown sugar and 1 cup of the crushed tomatoes. Stir to combine and cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, over medium heat, until the onions are softened.
- Remove 1 cup of this cooked meat sauce and in a small bowl mix it with the second cup of crushed tomatoes. Spread 1 cup of this mix onto the bottom of the prepared 9×13 pan.
- Stir the black beans into the remaining meat sauce in the pan and remove from the heat.
- Set out the 6 tortillas on the counter and equally spoon all the meat/bean mixture onto them. Roll up each tortilla and place them in the pan (seam side down) one at a time, until all 6 are in the pan.
- Spread the remaining reserved meat/tomato mixture down the centre on the enchiladas and top evenly with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until hot and the cheese has melted/browned.
- Top with sour cream, black olives, tomatoes and green onions, either while still in the pan or individually.
Makes 6 Portions
Recipe created by Chef Dez