Corn Picker’s Favourite PlatzPrint Print Without Images
This recipe was always a perennial summer favourite when I treated the early morning corn pickers to a freshly baked treat. A blueberry and peach combo was the favourite, with raspberry coming in a close second.
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ cup cold butter, cut into 1 cubes
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3 peaches, sliced
1 ½ cups blueberries
All fruit measurements are approximate, and can be lessened or increased to your preference! The goal is to achieve a single layer of fruit, not too thick.
½ cup butter, melted and cooled
1 ½ cup flour
1 ½ cup sugar
- Grease an 11 x 17 inch jelly roll pan.
- Cut the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter together until crumbly, like a pie crust. You want to see chunks of butter the size of peas in the flour mixture. This can be done with a pastry blender, or in a stand mixer.
- Add the eggs, milk and vanilla and mix just until moistened, do not overmix. Spread into prepared pan. An offset spatula works very well for this. Scatter with a single layer of fresh fruit. Sliced peaches, raspberries, blueberries, apricots, plums, apples or any combination you prefer!
- Mix together the crumb topping ingredients to form crumbs, either with a mixer on low speed or with fingers. Butter must be cooled or you’ll end up with creamed sugar and butter, and you just want buttery crumbs. Scatter over top of the fruit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.