Pumpkin Caramel Toffee CakePrint Print Without Images
Although this cold-weather, warm and delicious dessert requires five bowls, it’s worth it! You could also serve it at brunch too.
Thanks to Trish at tastykitchen.com for letting us borrow the recipe
For the Caramel:
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
For the Streusel:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Cake:
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
1. Lightly toast pecans until golden brown (spread on cookie sheet and broil until lightly golden).
2. Turn oven to 350 degrees.
3. Cut parchment paper to fit the base of a 9″ springform pan. Wrap the sides of the pan around the base, lock into place and trim the edges of the parchment so there is only a 1″ overhang. Coat pan and parchment with cooking spray.
4. Prepare the caramel by combining the toasted pecans, brown sugar, heavy cream and salt in a small bowl. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
5. Combine the streusel ingredients in a food processor and pulse until small clumps form. Set aside.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, pumpkin and eggs.
7. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
8. In yet another separate, larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a mixer. Gradually add in the remaining dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with the dry.
9. Spread half of the cake mixture over caramel using large spoonfuls and carefully spreading the mixture. Top with half of the streusel, then layer the rest of the cake mix and finish off with the remainder of the streusel.
10. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
11. Remove from oven and allow cake to cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the sides to loosen. Place a platter on top of the springform pan and unlock before flipping onto the platter. Serve warm.
(If you’re really crazy, you can serve with ice cream, but it’s not needed!)