Salted Caramel BrowniesPrint Print Without Images
Perfectly fudgy and moist brownies that have an deliciously salted caramel center. These are certainly decadent, but cut them in small pieces and watch everyone enjoy every last gooey crumb! Place the caramels in the freezer for 30 minutes before you peel them and the wrappers come off much more easily.
Fleur de Sel is a gourmet finishing sea salt with beautiful, small, delicate flakes that make a great addition to desserts, especially over the holidays. The light and crunchy crystals, as opposed to fine sea salt grains, are the first to form during the evaporation process while harvesting sea salt. Fleur de Sel are then carefully hand-harvested, and comprise only 5% of the total salt harvest which is why it’s considered a premium product compared to regular sea salt.
Gourmet food lovers have been known to carry their own fleur de sel when they travel and sprinkle their own salt on the dishes when they eat out. For home cooks and avid bakers, Fleur de Sel makes a great finishing salt for all things sweet and savoury. Canada has been harvesting Fleur de Sel for almost ten years through the conscientious efforts of Vancouver Island Salt Co. Keep it local and taste the flavour of the Great Canadian Pacific with Canadian Fleur de Sel!
2 cups sugar
¾ cup baking cocoa
1 cup vegetable oil
¼ cup milk
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
400 gm Caramels
(Kraft makes 269 gm bags of caramel, so you’ll need to buy 2 and have a few extra to snack on!)
1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper. This makes cleaning up easier with the caramel.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. In another large bowl, beat together the sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs, and milk. Add the dry ingredients until blended. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into the greased 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the caramel filling. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the caramels and sweetened condensed milk, stirring 30 seconds at a time until melted and smooth. Can also melt over medium-low heat in a saucepan.
5. Pour the melted caramel over the warm brownie layer. Sprinkle coarse sea salt on top. Drop remaining brownie batter over the top of the caramel and carefully swirl the top with a knife. Bake for an additional 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Allow the brownies to completely cool before serving.
Garnish the brownies lightly with additional sea salt.