Stephanie’s Orzo Beef Skillet with Kale
Print Without Images
Our Grocery Manager, Stephanie, is one of the busiest women that I know these days! When she isn’t at the market, cheerfully leading her team of cashiers, or restocking, ordering, and keeping track of everything that has to do with the a great deal of the superb goodies that you take home to your fridge and pantry from the market every day, you can likely find her rushing out to attend a course or two at UFV. She is serious about Lepp Farm Market, and also about gaining an education that both Steph and all of us who get to work with her every day will benefit from – this woman is going places!
All of us know how difficult it is to keep up a busy schedule like Steph’s AND eat a healthy, home-cooked meal. Plus together, Stephanie and her husband Tyler, like to make sure that they are eating right – these two can read a nutritional facts label like nobodies business! I love that this skillet for a few reasons – no mess, it’s healthy and simple ingredients, and most importantly it’s hearty Italian flavors give this dish the taste of a meal that has cooked in the oven all day. Finally, when it says to add the kale – do it – the taste and texture are the perfect finishing touch.
A touch of parmesan and dinner’s done!
1 lb ground beef
1/2 a large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juice
1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
1/2 cup water
8 ounces orzo
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
4 cups chopped kale or baby spinach
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and onions to the pan and cook until the beef is browned and the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, water, orzo and seasoning.
- Mix everything together, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the orzo is fully cooked.
- Stir in the chopped kale/spinach until wilted.
- Top with the Parmesan cheese, season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.
Tip: the flavours in this dish become some much more pronounced when it has a chance to sit for a little while! This makes it a great option for make ahead meals.