Summer Berry Custard SquaresPrint Print Without Images
I first saw this recipe in Canadian House and Home and knew it would be the perfect recipe to highlight Lepp’s first ever strawberry crop. This would also be delicious with sliced peaches, apricots or plums.
2 ¼ cups flour
⅓ cup ground almonds
⅓ cup sugar
⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup butter, cold, diced
1 ½ cup diced strawberries
1 cup raspberries
2 large eggs
½ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
2 Tbsp. ground almonds
½ cup whipping cream
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Note, there is no leavening agent in this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together all ingredients except butter in mixing bowl. Add butter and work with fingertips until crumbly. Reserve 2 cups of mix for topping, and firmly press remaining mixture into an ungreased 9 inch or 11 x 7 inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and while still hot, top crust with berries in an even layer.
- Whisk together remaining filling ingredients and pour over berries.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups of the crust mixture. Bake until golden brown and set, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting and refrigerate leftovers.