Tomato Zucchini CasserolePrint Print Without Images
Using the fresh, local field tomatoes and the zucchini growing in our fields, this casserole features the best of the Autumn season! Enjoy as a side dish or as a vegetarian main course.
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (mozzarella is good too!)
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon eachof oregano and basil, or 1/2 teaspoon each if dried
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3 medium zucchini
2 large tomatoes
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Combine cheeses, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Thinly slice zucchini and tomatoes.
- Butter a 8″ square pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange 1/2 the zucchini slices in the pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 of cheese mix, then 1/2 tomatoes. Sprinkle another 1/4 cheese mix. Arrange remaining zucchini on top. Sprinkle 1/4 cheese mix. Top with remaining tomatoes. Sprinkle 1/4 cheese mix.
- In small skillet, melt butter and saute onions for a few minutes. Add crumbs and stir until they absorb butter. Spread evenly on top of casserole.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes until top is crusty.
Makes 8 side dish servings, or 4 main dish.