Chef Ryan’s Mulligatawny SoupPrint Print Without Images
Our most asked for recipe, and top selling frozen soup is now available for you to make at home!
½ cup yellow onion
½ cup carrot, peeled
1 cup celery
1 cup bell pepper
1 cup zucchini
1 cup orange sweet potato (yams), peeled
2 L chicken stock
1 L water
1 cup white rice
½ cup wild rice, optional
3 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp curry powder (yellow Madras style)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chipotle chilli powder
2 tsp salt
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb cooked chicken, shredded by fork
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 large apple, peeled (Granny Smith is best)
1 cup dried cranberries
800 mL coconut milk (2 cans)
Juice of 1 whole lime
- Wash and prepare the vegetables, cut into approximately ½-inch pieces.
- Bring stock and water to a high simmer in a large pot (or small stockpot, preferably).
- Add wild rice to pot and simmer for 15 minutes , then add white rice and simmer for 5 minutes
- Bring large fry pan up to medium high heat. Add canola oil along with onions, carrot, celery and bell pepper. Sauté until onions are soft. Add all dry spices and garlic to vegetables and mix well, stirring constantly so as not to burn spices. Only keep on heat for about 30 seconds then remove and add vegetables to stock and rice.
- Add remaining vegetables, brown sugar, shredded chicken, cranberries and apple. Bring to a simmer and stir in coconut milk and simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Check seasoning – if required, add 1-2 tsp of salt to taste. (If you are using Lepp’s frozen poultry broth, you may need to add more salt ours isn’t preseasoned.) Squeeze in juice of 1 lime and stir right before serving.
Makes 8-10 meal sized portions