Oma Klassen’s Crumb CakePrint Print Without Images
2 cups brown sugar
3 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup softened margarine (or butter, I suppose)
- Mix the above and reserve 3/4 -1 cup for “crumbs.”
Add 2 tsp BAKING SODA to 1 1/2 cups sour milk (or buttermilk).
- Whisk with a fork. Pour into the dry mixture. Then beat 2 eggs and add.
- Turn on mixer. Beat until your intuition tells you to stop.
- Pour into a 9×13 inch pan. Top with reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 or so minutes.
Bakers’ notes: I wanted to keep Oma Klassen’s recipe worded just the way it was. I used a different method, so include these few notes:
- Whisk together sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 3/4 cup crumbs. Whisk baking soda into remaining crumbs.
- Whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Add to crumb mixture and bring together with a fork, until the consistency of muffin batter.
- Pour into a buttered pan. Top with reserved crumbs. Bake until a tester comes out clean.