The New Classy ChickenPrint Print Without Images
This is an easy winter casserole dish and delicious enough for company. I prefer chicken thighs as I always find them a tastier and less expensive option than chicken breasts. And if you ask really nicely the butchers will even debone them for you!
The Calgary based Best of Bridge cookbook series has been my go-to cookbooks over the years when I’m looking for tasty, easy and surefire winner recipes. I was thrilled to see a new title called Fan Fare, and even more excited to see that they revamped one of our family favorite recipes “The New Classy Chicken”. Much lower in fat, but still just as tasty. This is an easy winter casserole dish and delicious enough for company.
It also a great recipe to showcase my favourite curry powder “Monsoon Coast Moghul Curry” which is blended in Saltspring Island, BC. Since I’m always feeding more than 4 people, I doubled the recipe, which increased the cooking time by about 15 minutes. You want to make sure the sauce is bubbling all the way through to the middle of the dish so that the sauce thickens.
1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tsp butter, melted
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp Monsoon Coast Moghul Curry powder
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup skim or 2% milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer.
- Place chicken on a plate and season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute chicken for 5-7 minutes or until browned and no longer pink inside. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch broccoli for 1 minute. Drain and spoon over chicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, curry powder, broth, milk, yogurt and mayonnaise. Pour over chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle chicken mixture with cheddar cheese. Toss bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling and top is golden brown.
Photo courtesy of www.foodwhine.com