Chocolate Banana Coffee Cake MuffinsPrint Print Without Images
This recipe was given to me by my friend Doris many years ago, and if I had a dollar for every one of these muffins that I baked over the years for school lunches, I would be living by a beach in Costa Rica by now. This has always been, and still is, our boys’ favorite muffin and when my newly married son asked for the recipe, I knew it was time to put it on the website. If you’re one of the rare people that doesn’t have a few overripe bananas lounging on your kitchen counter, you can always buy our “baking bananas” (slightly overripe bananas at a reduced price) at the market.
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. instant coffee granules dissolved in 1 Tbsp. hot water OR
2 Tbsp. cold, strong espresso
1 1/3 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (3 large bananas)
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Dissolve instant coffee in hot water and add to mashed bananas, OR add cold coffee to mashed bananas.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in egg.
- Combine banana mixture and flour mixture, stirring with a spoon until the flour has been mixed into the batter.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Scoop into greased muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
Makes 18 medium sized muffins.