Harvest Salad with ApplesPrint Print Without Images
This salad from Half-Baked Harvest combines all the best produce that fall has to offer into one big beautiful salad. Shredded kale, crisp apples, pomegranate, pumpkin seeds, and crispy prosciutto. Usually, I adapt and change ingredients, but this combination is perfect and the caramelized shallot vinaigrette is delicious. Mix up the greens if you like, but using all kale ensures the leftovers (if there are any!) are still crisp for lunch the next day. Healthy, simple and delicious, this salad is my new favorite fall staple.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 2 heads kale, shredded
- 2 apples, thinly sliced, Honeycrisp or Pink Lady are perfect
- arils (seeds) from 1 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Handful of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fig preserves, I prefer Dalmatia Fig Spread
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On the prepared baking sheet, toss together the pumpkin seeds, olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Arrange in a single layer. Lay the prosciutto flat around the seeds. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the seeds are toasted and the prosciutto is crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a large salad bowl, combine the kale, apples, and pomegranates.
- To make the vinaigrette. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the shallots, cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly. Add the apple cider vinegar, fig preserves, and thyme. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, tossing to combine. Top the salad with toasted pumpkin seeds, crumbled prosciutto, dried cranberries and feta. Eat and enjoy!