Leslie’s Potato Leek SoupPrint Print Without Images
2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed oil
4 to 5 medium russet potatoes (1 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
3 large leeks (1 pound), cleaned and thinly sliced
6 cups vegetable stock (or light chicken stock)
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh cracked pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup crème fraiche
1/3 cup minced parsley or chives
- Heat the oil in a large (6-plus quart) stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leek and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have begun to soften and brown slightly, about 8 to 12 minutes (this time will vary greatly depending on the surface area of the bottom of your pot).
- Add the vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend until smooth, either using an immersion blender or by carefully transferring to a blender in batches.
- Add the cream, and season to taste with salt (I start with 1 teaspoon and go from there, tasting frequently) and lemon juice.
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with a dollop of crème fraiche and a healthy sprinkling of minced parsley.