4 lbs. Lepp’s Okanagan apricots
½ – ¾ cup mild flavoured honey, such as Campbell Gold’s Alfalfa Honey
Optional Add-Ins Before Roasting:
Lay a few sprigs of thyme in amongst the apricots
Drizzle with 2 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
Sprinkle with ½ tsp. cardamom or cinnamon
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Wash and dry apricots. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Cut apricots in half, discarding pits.
Lay apricots cut side up on the baking tray.
Drizzle with honey. If honey has crystallized, warm up in a glass proof measuring cup in the microwave for a few seconds.
Slow roast at 250 degrees for 2 hours.
Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly. Discard thyme.
Place apricots in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth, or if you prefer, leave slightly chunky. This happens quickly, so pulse in short bursts until you arrive at the texture you prefer.
Freeze in small portions, either in small mason jars or freezer zip-lock bags.
There are so many delicious ways to use these honey sweetened apricots!
- A topping for yogurt
- Stirred into your favourite BBQ sauce and slathered on your favourite chicken or pork recipe
- Drizzled over soft cheese such as Brie or Camembert
- As a topping for cheesecake
- Topped with vanilla sweetened whipped cream, or lightly sweetened mascarpone cheese or creme fraiche for a simple dessert
- Stirred into your favourite cocktail, or add a spoonful to a glass of club soda for a refreshing summer seltzer.