Cheerio SquaresPrint Print Without Images
This recipe comes from the 1992 M.E.I. Cookery Carousel, Volume 2 cookbook and I think I made this treat for every school event my kids were required to bring a snack to, always coming home with an empty pan. In fact, I think I could recite it from memory as so many people would ask me for the recipe. Of course, that was back in the day before the peanut allergies prevented bringing any food containing peanut butter. I have not tried substituting another nut butter nor have I tried using anything else besides corn syrup as a sweetener. This recipe just is what it is, a much-loved family treat that will make any peanut butter lover in your life a happy camper!
½ cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter
½ cup peanut butter
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup peanuts
3 cups Cheerios
3 cups Corn Flakes
- Bring corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add peanut butter and vanilla and stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add peanuts, Cheerios and Corn Flakes and pour melted butter mixture over, stirring until all ingredients are coated in peanut butter deliciousness.
- Press into a buttered or parchment lined 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Allow to cool before cutting it into squares.
While you’ve got the cereal and peanut butter out, you might like these Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares, too.